Friday, January 25, 2008

Teh future


BoingBoing Gadgets has a post about a concept device that is the iPhone on steroids - basically, a brick wrapped in touch sensitive ePaper.

Not having looked at the demo (I'm at work and they're picky about some things...) I'll say that the device is out of date.

Clearly the Next Big Thing has to be for the device to go away altogether. I know the basic idea for wearables has been around forever, but it seems to me that the time has come.

I wanna wear a bluetooth earpiece and cool shades, possibly with [ here's where my imagination is failing me :-( ] gloves, or fingerless gloves, or (ew) wristbands, and let any surface, including my hand, or no surface, be my interface. Tap the earpiece when you get a phone call, see a dial pad on your palm and tap out the number with the other hand, watch movies on a giant screen hovering in the air...

(equipment list: bluetooth earpiece, some brick in my pocket or on my belt, glasses w/ minute camera, painted video display, & variable darkness lenses, and gloves)

Why the hell do I want to dig out a device every time I want mindless entertainment or superficial conversation?

Ideally, you could then sell any little doohickey with whatever interface you want (switches, knobs, g-spots, ...) and all it needs to do is network with some software on the brick to be anything at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home